Monday, May 27, 2013

It's {almost} time for Africa!

well it is almost time for me to embark on a brand new adventure.  for those who know me well, i have a passion for traveling and i love being able to see all of Gods creation.  on wednesday i will be leaving my bubble of tulsa, oklahoma and will find a temporary home in gaborone, botswana for the month of june.  gaborone is the capital of botswana, which is located in the southeastern region of botswana. why botswana? well, i will be working for a pediatric AIDS hospital.  let me tell you more about the program i will be serving in.

baylor international pediatric aids initiative {BIPAI} was founded ten years ago by dr. kline of houston.  the original hospital was in romania due to their aids epidemic that spiked at the height of their communism battle.  upon the success of the hospital, the african outreach began. it originally began in gaborone and is currently in over 15 african cities and countries.  the need for help is so intense in africa, dr. kline felt the need to spread all over and create an impact.  the success of this hospital has been remarkable and the lives that have been saved is impressive.  as for myself, i will be assisting in their outreach programs within the gaborone community.  i will assist in raising awareness for children in the community when it comes to preventing AIDS and how they can learn proper sex education and hygiene.  i will also be working with the children specifically in the hospital through their mentoring and tutoring program.  i will have the opportunity to travel to johannesburg, south africa for five days.  while i am there, i will be attending the regional meeting.  representatives from all of the different regions with BIPAI hospitals travel annually to joburg and discuss their programs.  overall, i am looking forward to the opportunity of a lifetime and see how the Lord will transform my heart and mend me and break me.  

my prayer is for salvation among the children that i will be in contact with, safe travels, a healthy trip, and an impact to be made while i am there.  i know that the Lord is preparing me to do something big while i am over there and i am so excited to see the different ways that the Lord will be working through me to expand his kingdom. 

Matthew 28:19 says, 
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."  

as i prepare for my trip, i feel like there is one song that has excited me for my trip:


Waka Waka by Shakira (courtesy of YouTube)




until next time,

natalie 

No comments:

Post a Comment